Saturday, September 28, 2013

The HOOTenanny at the Audubon Center

Today was the annual HOOTenanny at the Audubon Society of Greater Denver. And it was a Hoot!  We had Hawk Quest bring 5 owls, a Great Horned owl, a Barn owl, a Long-eared owl, a Burrowing owl and a Screech owl.  They were so neat to see up close.  We also had tables set up for children and parents to make Snowy owls out of pinecones, owl pellets to dissect, pizza to buy and a Bluegrass band.  There were also vendors who sold home-made owl crafts, books to buy, stuffed owls from the Audubon Society and other vendors who had information such as Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the Wildlife Experience.  We also had hayrides.  Today was a beautiful, fall Colorado day and the weather was perfect!  I got to take the photos of the event and it was so amusing to get photos of the kids, especially when they found a bone while dissecting the owl pellet or dancing with the Bluegrass band.  We had a great crowd turnout; I think we had around 300 people!  We also had a couple of extra visitors show up:  an osprey and a juvenile bald eagle.  There was also a kestral off  in the distance, hunting for his lunch.  It was a great day of learning about owls.  I think this evening, my daughter and I might go out to look for owls and other wildlife.

Side note:  I will be uploading some photos soon.  Also, on my way home, I saw a Swainson's hawk on a light post by my house!  Got a pic of him, but he had turned his head, the little bugger!

What have you seen lately?  I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment